Friday, 14 May 2010

Cuckoo calm


Have you heard a Cuckoo yet?

I can't believe we're halfway through May and that most familiar of bird calls has not been heard yet in our quiet corner of the Rural Shires. Typically, the first is heard before the end of April so it's somewhat concerning that the fields and woodlands remain silent.

I'm aware that the Cuckoo is in severe decline in Britain and I must say they have become quite scarce in these parts in recent years, but it looks like the decline may be about to deliver a local extinction within the parish, a real loss to local biodiversity especially with this year being the International Year of Biodiversity - mind you the local Hedgesparrows and Meadow Pipits will breathe a sigh of relief at the loss of a parasite!

If the Cuckoo does disappear it will be a very sad day for everyone...fingers crossed one turns up soon!

LC James
Landlocked
14 May 2010

LC James supports the International Year of Biodivesity

No comments:

Post a Comment