Sunday, 30 January 2011

Normal Service Resumed

Many apologies to all for the rather embarassing gap since my last post!

There have been a rash of life-significant events since last August.

Firstly, I've changed my job. After much soul-searching I parted company with my Scandinavian Paymasters and have rejoined my old Japanese Friends out on the Fens. I really enojoyed my job with at the Seaside Factory but it meant far far too many nights away from the Rural Shires and my Darling Wife so, in order to better balance the important things in life, I've returned to a more landlocked domain - it means regularly commuting 55mins each way but as a reward I get to sleep in the same bed as my Darling Wife. Choices! Choices!

Secondly, we had the big December freeze. This put pay to all outdoor farming activities and brough the autumn season to an abrupt end. Regular heavy snow falls throughout the month resulted in several days trapped in the Rural Shires working from home office. Worse impact was driving three hours into a blizzard up in southwest Lancashire. We drove until 1am into severe heavy snowfall the likes of which has not been seen in Southport since the last Ice Age - no kidding!! There mush have been 10in of snow - and not a salt cellar, gritter or snowplough in sight. Cars and trucks abandoned! And all in order to have a pre-Christmas lunch with my family.

Thirdly, we've had Chrimblemas. A great day here in Rural Shires and a spectacular lunch with family and friends - 12 seated afront a grand spread. Only downside was my attempt to cut my thumb off whilst seperating a button sprout from its mother stalk. Darling Wife was the perfect nurse springing into isntant A&E action and putting me all back together. Bar the odd overdone vegetable all went well. The turkey was stuffed with pheasant, shot over in Derbyshire, and the pehaesant stuffed with a vension sausage meat delicious!

And finally, post-Christmas saw a family expedition to the tropics of The Gambia. A week of sunshire and warmth amidst the winter cold and darkness. All seemed to enjoy the experience - the cultural differences hit you like a hammer! Don't really know where to start but will get round to posting a blog of my bird watching exploits ASAP - before I forget what I saw!

LC James
Landlocked
30 January 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment